Hektar REIT acknowledges material sustainability matters by taking into account the potential risk in our business activities in relation to our social and environmental needs as well as the economic factors impacting the real estate industry.
Our material areas were also identified based on inputs from both internal and external stakeholders through observation and enquiries received. An internal materiality assessment was carried out to map out our sustainability matters in the steps described in the figure below.
Upon completing all four steps, the list of sustainability matters material to our business and to our stakeholders was as follows:
Prioritising good health and well-being by:
- Ensuring that employees lead a balanced lifestyle and encourage healthy activities;
- Organising regular staff gatherings to promote bond and appreciation; and
- Educating end-users, including employees, tenants, shoppers, and the general community.
Observing a high standard of corporate conduct, which is integral to ensuring the sustainability of the organisation’s business as well as safeguarding shareholders’ interests and maximising long-term shareholder value. This means:
- Adherence to corporate governance and practice high level of disclosures, bilateral communication and conduct risk management audit; and
- Whistle Blowing Reporting.
Introducing new measures to reduce impact on the environment such as water management, waste management, paper conservation and energy management with the aim of:
- Achieving a minimum 10% reduction in energy consumption across our investment portfolio on a like-for-like basis by the year ending March 2022 when compared to our March 2017 baseline;
- Introducing an energy benchmarking system across the portfolio;
- Engaging with our new and existing tenants within our multi-let buildings to encourage optimum operational efficiency of their premises; and
- Reducing paper wastage at Hektar offices, including defaulting to double-sided and black and white printing, encouraging the use of e-mails, e-fax and encouraging employees to reduce paper use.
Reducing inequalities in employment, training, career advancement and top positions. Hektar believes that regardless of ethnicity, faith, age or gender, employees can make a significant contribution based on their talent, expertise and experience. We adopt consistent, equitable, and fair labour policies and practices in rewarding and developing employees under the direct hire of Hektar. Our aim is to:
- Provide an inclusive, open environment for our employees with equal opportunities for individuals and teams to realise their full potential and enable the business to meet its strategic objectives.
- Ensuring sustainable returns to unitholders, stability in capital structure and continuity of growth in DPU through our strategies.
Giving back to the community and honouring our role in the community, with the aim of:
- Supporting the communities in which we operate; being responsible neighbours and developing as well as maintaining strong relationships.
Our Sustainable Procurement consists of processes involving search acquisition and purchase of goods and services from an external source, predominantly via a competitive bidding process:
- Fair opportunities – we encourage local procurement and SMEs as our supply chain partners.
- Develop a competitive and sustainable supply chain – we pride ourselves on maintaining or improving the procurement process through competitive markets.